December 30, 1954

Eunice Ott

Eunice Ott

Missionary with the Evangelical Alliance Mission

30th December, 1954

Dear Mom,

The men went over to our new station on Tuesday (this is Thursday) which is 45 miles from here and near Mt. Darwin.  Russ Jackson also came there as they had some business in regard to laying out the sites for foundations of buildings.  The Jacksons have a telephone, as their house used to belong to the government who had it installed and it was never taken out.  So it was how I got the message about Pa’s homegoing.  Orla called Russ and Russ told the men here and when they got home last night Warren broke the news to me.  They only knew that dad had passed on.  They didn’t know the date or when the cablegram came or nothing.  Anyway, if I get the post this week-end, I’ll probably know.  I have it figured that it was after the 23rd.

Well, amid my tears there is joy, too, in knowing that Pa is with the Lord and he has entered into joy unknown to us.  How hard it must be for missionaries to have their loved ones leave this world who are unsaved.  I know that the Lord is sustaining you and has done so through these recent days.  I’m sure that in your sorrow you also have peace.  We sorrow not as those who have no hope.

I imagine everyone was home but Jim and me.  It helps me know, too, that you aren’t alone but that you have lots of “kids” besides myself to be with you.  As to your future, that too you can trust the Lord to work out for you, even if you can’t figure it out now.  He can arrange it for you.

The natives around heard about as soon as the men got home that my father had died, so in no time the teacher came up and came in the house and told me he was sorry to hear the news and then he prayed.  A bit later the teachers’ wives and the evangelist came.  They sat on my floor quietly and later the evangelist prayed.  Mary and Marie and Muriel stayed until about ten o’clock, so I appreciated that.  At such times, the custom of the natives is to come and sit with you, not saying anything.

I am anxious to hear concerning the details.  I haven’t heard anything but what Grace wrote on the 8th.  I want to know what his condition was like the last weeks.  I’m sure someone has written.

The Everswicks received a cablegram also saying that her brother’s ten-year-old boy died suddenly of a short illness of the brain called syphilitis1cephalitis (I don’t know if that is right or not). It was a shock to them as he and Lynn are the same age and had been so close while they were home.

I’ll write when post goes out again and perhaps by that time I’ll know some details.  I’m wondering who conducted the service, all of those things.  I must be patient until the letters come.  It would be nice for you to get away for a bit.  Don’t you think?  I’ll write a bit to Jim today.  I must close now and may the Lord bless you in a very special way during these days of aloneness.  I’m so glad Pa wasn’t bedridden for a long time.

Love to all of you,

Share Post:

Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x